[Pw_forum] charge transfer in GaAs from projwfc

G.Autes G.Autes at open.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 17:31:41 CET 2009

Hi

I am trying to calculate the local charge in GaAs.
I did a self consistent calculation for bulk GaAs which gave me the correct bands structure (for the valence bands).
Then I tried to calculate the local DOS and charge on each atom using projwfc.x.

I obtain these Lowdin charges (atom 1 is Ga and 2 is As):

>   Lowdin Charges:
>
>     Atom #   1: total charge =   2.9724, s =  1.0494, p =  1.9231,
>     Atom #   2: total charge =   4.9937, s =  1.3894, p =  3.6043,
>     Spilling Parameter:   0.0042

which are the integer charge of the atoms...
But we should expect a charge transfer from Ga to As.
D. Sanchez-Portal et al. (Solid State Com. 95 685), using the same method, report a charge transfer of 0.42eV  in GaAs.

I include my input files. Could you tell me if I'm missing something?

Thanks

--
Gabriel Autes
Open University, Milton-Keynes, UK

-----------------------------------
input file for the scf calculation:

&control
  calculation='scf',
  outdir='./tmp',
  prefix='gaas',
  pseudo_dir='/home/gautes/Progs/espresso-4.0.4/pseudo'
/

&system
  ibrav=2,
  celldm(1)=10.6827,