[Pw_forum] SCF correction compared to forces is too large, reduce conv_thr

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sun Mar 22 04:02:23 CET 2009

dear artee sharma,

conv_thr=1.0e-5 is a rather large value, acceptable if you just want
the energy but not if you want forces. 1.0e-6 is the default and for
relaxations one rather tends to reduce it...

Convergence for large systems (especially inhomogeneous metallic ones)
may be slow. mixing_mode='local-TF' usually helps in these cases. are
you using it ?

Even when the first scf convergence is painfully slow the subsequent
ones should be better as potential and wfcs are extapolated from
previous steps. check that you are indeed using these extrapolations
(should however be the default for relaxation, so probably you do).

Sometime when a system does not want to converge it's trying to tell
you something ... Is it a magnetic or metallic system ? are you using
smearing ? are you sure the number of bands and your k-point sampling
is accurate enough ?

hope this helps,
  stefano

Stefano de Gironcoli - SISSA and DEMOCRITOS