[Pw_forum] A method on defining a based-centered monoclinic cell

yinwei_li yinwei_li at yahoo.cn
Tue Mar 10 02:19:49 CET 2009

> a=11.692, b=2.159, c=3.463, beta=103.7,
>Notice that above you have an angle beta != 90, whereas in
>QE(quantum espresso) gamma != 90. Draw corresponding pictures of the two
>settings of the unit cell and you will undestand what you have to
>"swap".

I have tested in this case. with the right-hand screw rule, the lattice could be changed to:
a=3.463, b=11.692, c=2.159, gamma=103.7, the atomic positions in the unit cell was changed too.
however, during the transformation to the primitive cell in the Materials Studio, it will give a same atomic positions and lattice parameters (of the primitive cell) with the old one. therefore, I still could not get a correct structure in this way. Maybe this is because of the Materials Studio, which is not a best tool to generate the input information for PWSCF. So I want to know what tools you use to generate the input information such as atomic positions?

2009-03-10

Yinwei Li (李印威)
PHD
State Key Lab of Superhard Materials, Jilin University
2699 Qianjin Str.
130012, Changchun
P. R. China