[Pw_forum] A method on defining a based-centered monoclinic cell

yinwei_li yinwei_li at yahoo.cn
Mon Mar 9 13:31:36 CET 2009

Sorry, everyone, MS is Materials Studio modeling.

 In fact, I found many users, as well as me, have problems on the input defining a based-centered monoclinic cell. For example, a c2m structure with
a=11.692, b=2.159, c=3.463, beta=103.7,
A  (0.152   0    0.373 )
B  (0.054    0.5    0.976)
B  (0.745    0.5    0.889)
B  (0.946    0.5    0.388)
As described in the documentation, the input information is:
  ibrav=13,
  celldm(1)=22.09468665493776184528,
  celldm(2)=0.18465617516250427642,
  celldm(3)=0.29618542593226137529,
  celldm(4)=-0.236838146065618621,
  nat=8
  ntyp= 2,
ATOMIC_POSITIONS {crystal}
A   0.15200   0.15200   0.37300
A   0.84800   0.84800   0.62700
B    0.55400   0.55400   0.97600
B    0.24500   0.24500  -0.11100
B     0.44600   0.44600   0.38800
B     0.44600   0.44600   0.02400
B     0.75500   0.75500   0.11100
B     0.55400   0.55400   0.61200

However, this will give us a different structure with that in Materials Studio (MS). I know there is something
wrong in my input, because the atomic positions I input are directly obtained from the Materials Studio (MS).
Unfortunately, the transformation matrix from the unit cell to the primitive cell is different between the MS
and PWSCF, therefore, my input form is not accordance with the PWSCF, but I do not know how to change
my input. However, If I change the defining form in the PWSCF to the one used in MS, with my input I will
get a correct structure.
 If some one could get a correct structure of the above parameters with the defining form in the PWSCF, please show me the input file.

Thanks!

2009-03-09

Yinwei Li (李印威)
PHD
State Key Lab of Superhard Materials, Jilin University
2699 Qianjin Str.
130012, Changchun
P. R. China