[Pw_forum] converge problem in calculating the vacancy on TiO2 surfaces

Ari Paavo Seitsonen ari.p.seitsonen at iki.fi
Sun Mar 1 10:08:11 CET 2009

Dear Vega,

   Just my guesses and suggestions: One could try mixing of the density,
like

  &electrons
     mixing_beta   = 0.7
  /

(or a value even smaller than 0.7, or some other parametres for the
mixing) since with a defect you might now have defect levels in the band
gap, leading to a more difficult a convergence. Eventually one could also
switch on the broadening of the occupation numbers, eventually switching
it off for the physical/production jobs, but just to check if the problem
in convergence comes due to this.

   And in the original paper the authors discuss spin-polarisation, one
might test also this (nspin = 2), with different initial magnetisations
[starting_magnetization(xx) = ...] for the atoms surrounding the defect.

     Greetings,

        apsi