[Pw_forum] Separating Raman modes

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Jun 23 16:04:54 CEST 2009

Dear Sophia & Alexandra:

I am not sure that group theory (which I am fond of) would help much
here. For a disordered system modeled by a supercell, I see few other
choices than estimating the Raman activity of each mode, and then sum
the contributions from all the modes. The method by Mauri and
coworkers (whose implementation status in QE is unknown to me) seems
particularly suitable in this case. For those who do not know, the
(non-resonant) Raman activity is given by the variation of the
polarizability linearly induced by each vibrational mode (here is
where selection rules ultimately come from). This "traditional" way of
calculating the Raman activity is  not very practical for large
supercells, because it requires several polarizability calculations
for each phonon mode. An alternative would be 3rd order perturbation
theory, which used to be implemented in QE. A bit awkward because of
complications arising from the infamous q->0 limits that plague any
polarizability calculations in infinite systems. The third (and most
elegant) way is Mauri and collaborators'. The first derivative of the
polarizability with respect to an atomic displacements is a third
derivative of the energy, once with respect to a nuclear position,
twice with respect to the strength of the electroc field. By changing
the order of differentiation, this can be seen as the second
dericative of the force acting on atoms with respect to an applied
alectric field. This can be computed by 2nd order perturbation theory
in the strength of the field.

An alternative is to rely on some polarizable-bond model for the
polarizability and to estimate its derivative with respect to nuclear
distortions using such a semi-empirical model.

Hope this helps.
Stefano

On Jun 23, 2009, at 10:31 AM, alexandra.carvalho at epfl.ch wrote:

> Dear Sophia,
>
> To select which modes are Raman active you must use the selection
> rules.
> The following paper may be of help (see also the tables in it):
>
> Rosseau et al. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 10, 253 (1981)
>
> If you are starting, I recommend having a look at the selection rules
> for molecules, for example in Tinkham, Group theory and Quantum
> mechanics (Dover, 1992,NY) pp248.
>
> Most likelly, you will be interested in the allowed transitions with
> highest
> frequency.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Alexandra
>

> Quoting Jonathan <sophia.nishad at gmail.com>:
>
>> Dear users,
>>
>> I computed phonons only at the gamma point for a 64-atom binary
>> alloy. How do I separate the three main Raman modes.
>>
>> Would it be possible to get some help?
>> thanks,
>> --
>> Sophia
>> UCB, USA
>>

> --
>
> Alexandra Carvalho,
> Ceramics Laboratory
> Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Lausanne (EPFL)

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget