[Pw_forum] Zero of the electrostatic potential ?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Jun 23 12:08:03 CEST 2009

The zero of the potential energy is the average electrostatic potential;
as such the eigenvalues in different systems cannot be  directly compared.
what you need yo do is to calculate the (electrostatic) potential energy
in the vacuum region where it should, at least for neutral systems,  be
constant and take that as the zero of the energy.
In order to calculate the potential in the vacuum region one could adapt
the example for the calculation of the Work Function in directory
examples/WorkFct_example.

stefano