[Pw_forum] B_field

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Jun 15 17:32:15 CEST 2009

Dear Yang (from???, please sign including your affiliation, since this is
the "policy" of the PW forum),

孙阳 wrote:
> Hi, Gabriele, I think you are right. I've already performed the
> constrained magnetization
> calculation. Would there be anyone introduce the way using
> "constrained magnetizatio".
> Is it fully equivalent to applying an external field?

I'm not sure about this, but, since H (magnetic field) and M (magnetization) are
conjugated variables, you can pass from one to the other as independent variable
in the Hamiltonian via a Legendre transform. When you constrain the magnetization,
the magnetic field will appear as a Lagrange multiplier, so if you use Lagrange
 technique you get it automatically (see PRL 53,2512 about constrained DFT).
In QE things are done in a different way, actually, and Lagrange multipliers are not
used. If you fix the total magnetization in collinear LSDA, the "two Fermi energies"
technique is used, while in the other cases a penalty functional is added (you have to
tweak a bit with the "lambda" parameter: have a look at INPUT_PW and add_bfield.f90 for
more detail).
Anyway the code always gives you the "Hellman-Feynman" Magnetic field, H(M), as output at
the end of the run. If you build the E(M) curve you should find, in principle, the same
magnetic field by computing the derivative of E(M) w.r.t. M and thus get the same H(M) curve.

HTH

GS