[Pw_forum] QE 4.0.5 64-bit serial installed on Mac Pro with gcc 4.3.3 and gfortran

Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi cristian.degliesposti at unibo.it
Fri Jun 12 16:19:33 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I only want to report briefly that eventually it seems that I managed
to install QE 4.0.5 on a Mac Pro with 2 64-bit Intel Xeon processors.
For the moment I have compiled a serial build (didn't try a parallel one
yet) with gfortran and gcc 4.3.3 from the FINK package.
Both pw.x and cp.x seem to run properly.

Mac OSX (10.5) apparently defaults to 32-bits, and I experienced
memory limitations also with other applications. So I wanted 64-bit
compilation. Therefore I issued

sudo ./configure --disable-parallel CC=gcc-4 CFLAGS="-m64"
CPPFLAGS="-m64" LDFLAGS="-m64" FFLAGS="-m64"

Note that I didn't set the "-m64" option in F90FLAGS, since this
would result in compilation errors with iotk sources.
Then, in order to have compatibility between lapack_atlas and dlamch
at the 64-bit level I had to modify manually make.sys as follows

FFLAGS_NOOPT   = -O0 -m64

(I use lapack shipped with the QE package).

Hope this helps and thanks for all the suggestions. Cristian
Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi
CNR, CNISM, Unita' di Ricerca di Bologna, c/o
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita' di Bologna
viale Berti-Pichat, 6/2, 40127, Bologna, Italia
tel. ++39 051 2095114   fax ++39 051 2095113
e-mail: cristian.degliesposti -AT- unibo.it
web:    http://www.df.unibo.it/fismat/theory