[Pw_forum] Symmetry of the dynamical matrix

Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi cristian.degliesposti at unibo.it
Thu Jul 30 18:47:47 CEST 2009

Dear all,

using the phonon code I noticed that, even
for simple molecular structures, the dynamical
matrix computed by ph.x is not symmetric.
(I limited myself to Gamma point calculations.)

In general, this does not guarantee real
eigenvalues. How are the eigenfrequencies
computed then?

Thanks for your time, Cristian
Cristian Degli Esposti Boschi
CNR, CNISM, Unita' di Ricerca di Bologna, c/o
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita' di Bologna
viale Berti-Pichat, 6/2, 40127, Bologna, Italia
tel. ++39 051 2095114   fax ++39 051 2095113
e-mail: cristian.degliesposti -AT- unibo.it
web:    http://www.df.unibo.it/fismat/theory