[Pw_forum] How can I set 'tot_magnetization' in advance

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Mon Jul 13 09:48:26 CEST 2009

Dear unknown

> I would like to calculate '3-atom Oxygen trimer' in a vaccuum cell. It
> is known that one Oxygen atom has '2' unpaired electrons. Does it mean
> that I have to set tot_magnetization=6 (from 3*2) in advance to do a
> scf calculation and get the correct total energy in the end.

tot_magnetization (or else multiplicity) fixes the spin state
of the molecule. The energy will depend upon the spin state.
As an alternative you can break the initial symmetry (using
starting_magnetization) and leave the code find the
magnetization of the ground state.
Please provide your name and affiliation whan you post.

P.