[Pw_forum] Strain calculation through quantum espresso

Giovanni Cantele Giovanni.Cantele at na.infn.it
Wed Jul 8 13:20:59 CEST 2009

Dimpy Sharma wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
>  I want to know about calculating strain from Q.E ,
I cannot well understand your question. If I'm not wrong, strain is a
measure of the deformation of a material,
the stress is the corresponding "load" applied to the material and
producing the strain. So, if you apply a deformation ("strain") to your
material,
let's say a cubic material with lattice constant A0 with strain along
the x direction, you are changing the lattice constant
along x from the equilibrium value A0 to some value A. The strain will
be measured as (A - A0) / A0.

> howver from stress also we can calculate stress,
?????

> as we can relate stress and strain .

The QE calc. will give you the corresponding stress tensor if you set
tstress=.true., *even though* you are using
calculation='scf', 'relax', ....

stress in QE:
http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Methodological_Background#Stress

Giovanni

--

Dr. Giovanni Cantele
Coherentia CNR-INFM and Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche
E-mail: giovanni.cantele at cnr.it
        giovanni.cantele at na.infn.it
Web: http://people.na.infn.it/~cantele
Research Group: http://www.nanomat.unina.it