[Pw_forum] generating pseudopotential problem

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Wed Jan 21 16:22:07 CET 2009

I've not much experience in producing PP, but I recognize some problems in your input
file. I can point them out, while you wait for a more definitive reply...

premlata pandit wrote:
> Dear  Pwscf User
>  We have generated ultrasoft pseudopotential for Pm by using following
> configuration
>        4F     4     3     5.00    0.00     2.10    2.10    2.50
>        4F     4     3     0.00   -0.10     2.10    2.10    3.50

These two rows look strange to me. If you want to generate US PP, you need at least 2
energies for each channels and specify the 2nd cutoff radius bigger than the first. They
are the same for the channels you want pseudize within the norm-conserving recipe.
I don't understand if your input above is for US with rel=1 or for NC with rel=2.
In the relativistic case (rel=2), for each l, the number of projectors doubles (you have
one with j=l+1/2 and another with j=l-1/2, where j is the number you specify in the last
column).
So, your input for relativistic USPP should look more like:

         4F     4     3     5.00    0.00     2.10    2.40    2.50
         4F     4     3     0.00   -0.10     2.10    2.40    2.50
         4F     4     3     0.00    0.00     2.10    2.40    3.50
         4F     4     3     0.00   -0.10     2.10    2.40    3.50

Of course this is not sufficient to get a relativistic US-PP, you need to play a lot with
cut-off radius and energies as well as maybe adding p or d projectors... it is usually a
difficult task to obtain a working PP for rare earth elements.

>        6S     1     0     2.00    0.00     2.40    2.40    0.50
>
>   By using above configuration, we have got output.

This does not mean that the PP will work correctly elsewhere than the atom in the
configuration used for generating the PP...

My suggestion is to look at the input files for PP generation in
espresso/atomic_doc/pseudo_library/LDA/REL/ and understand what you need to specify.

Regards

GS