[Pw_forum] Projection, convergence and imaginary phonon frequencies

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Jan 12 16:54:18 CET 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Nicola Marzari wrote:

NM> Dear John,

dear nicola,

happy new year from cold philly.

NM> if it is a crystal, the most critical parameter should be k-point
NM> sampling. Increase that, maybe using shifted meshes of the form
NM> 2n 2n 3n 1 1 1 , with n=1,2,3...

but it is a _molecular_ crystal, so i guess there are some
areas with comparatively low electron density and quite weak
interactions, as seen by the long list of rather soft modes.
i would suspect that will need to be converged very well wrt
to the basis set to not see any ripples on the potential surface.

for TM oxygen pseudos i would go to 120ry or higher to get
tight convergence. for MD 80-85ry is usually sufficient
(the more traditional 70ry has been shown to be very sloppy),
but if you want a tight geometry convergence you will have
to be more careful. BFGS can be quite sensitive and will
essentially refuse to converge if you have "ripples" due
to a very flat potential surface unless you crank up the
cutoff significantly.

NM> Norm-conserving and ultrasoft should matter little (unless
NM> there is a problem with one pseudo), while GGAs should be a bit
NM> tougher to converge than LDA.
NM>
NM> Do "crystal" and "simple" really lead to a different number of
NM> modes (10 vs 13) ??

those are obviously only the lowest few modes.
it is a 9x9x6 angstrom cell!

cheers,
   axel.