[Pw_forum] Use of pool

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Feb 24 10:16:02 CET 2009

Contrary to what Axel usually says (but my experience is far little than his, so he is in
the position to blame me) I do not believe that increasing the number of pools always
gives a better timing for a given system. It depends on the system you are computing (of
course...): how big is your supercell, how many electrons, how many k-points, how many
bands...

My experience is that, when working with big supercells is better try to use one pool
until you have a decent scaling and THEN start using more pools. If you have a smaller
cell (and consequently many more k-points) and not many electrons (like a slab geometry
with small periodicity), then using pools would be more beneficial.

However these timings may also depend on the configuration of your machine, i.e. how
optimized are algebra and fft libraries and how fast are communications.

To have a more precise idea of what's going on you should have a detailed look at the
timings at the end of pw output.

Last thing, you should be careful that increasing the number of pools you're increasing
the memory request on your node (as well as the memory traffic on RAM and caches, I
suppose), and that may also be a severe bottleneck to performance.

Regards

GS