[Pw_forum] compile problem with PGI v6.1 compilers on AMD Opteron cluster

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:05:38 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Jemmy Hu wrote:

JH> Dear All,
JH>
JH> Please help for this compile problem. Thanks.
JH> When compile PWSCF-4.0.4 using PGI v6.1 compilers, it gives errors in
JH> the make stage:
JH> Unknown flag -t
JH> Unknown flag -r
JH> Unknown flag -a
JH> Unknown flag -d
JH> Unknown flag -i
JH> Unknown flag -t
JH> Unknown flag -i
JH> Unknown flag -o
JH> Unknown flag -n
JH> Unknown flag -a
JH> Unknown flag -l
JH> Unknown flag -o

this looks like you are trying to feed the pgi compiler flags
that are meant for gcc preprocessor. thus there has to be
something wrong in your make.sys file.

[...]

JH> On the wiki page, it says pgi v6.1 works (info from Paolo Cazzato)
JH> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

how old is that information. the PGI compilers are notoriously
bad at 'modern' fortran 95 code, and Q-E has a slowly increasing
amout of them, so if this statement is not recent (which i assume),
then it is probably not applicable anymore.

i would strongly suggest to first try compiling with the latest
g95 _release_ (_not_ snapshot!) version and then try and revisit
pgi and see if there is a significant difference (in speed _and_
results).

JH> but I cannot access to the contents.
JH> The wiki login page does not have the Create Account option
JH> http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=User_Guide
JH>
JH>
JH> Anyone has the idea to access the wiki page? Thanks.

what for??

cheers,
   axel.