[Pw_forum] Example 06 - problem with phonon calculation

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Wed Feb 18 19:12:23 CET 2009

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Eric Landry wrote:

EL> Paolo,
EL>
EL> I also have encountered a similar error message when I installed the code on
EL> a machine running Cygwin with the following compilers:
EL>
EL> MPIF90         = g95
EL> #F90           = g95
EL> CC             = cc
EL> F77            = g95
EL>
EL> Do you think the compiler might also be the issue here?

the quality of g95 varies a lot with the individual binaries.
the "stable" version seems quite reliable. even though i encountered
a few quirks there as well. the "latest" version of g95 can be
pretty good or pretty bad.

mind you, the code that i am using g95 on, is using "modern" fortran
90/95 extensively, so it is exercising compilers hard, much, much more
than Q-E does. gfortran currently doesn't stand a chance, PGI is
a continuous catastrophe requiring many workarounds, and intel is
a hit and miss (different compiler versions and patchlevels
miscompile different parts of the code, however, most of the time
only with full optimization). for this code, the stable g95 has
the least problems. so i'd assume the same would hold for Q-E,
unless there is some specific code construct used somewhere in Q-E,
that g95 doesn't like (happens every once in a while).

hope that helps (even though it is not very definite...),
   axel.