[Pw_forum] symmetry operations in PW

alexandra.carvalho at epfl.ch alexandra.carvalho at epfl.ch
Tue Feb 10 08:01:22 CET 2009

Dear Manoj,

I do not know about the definitions intrinsic to pwscf,
but in group theory directed opperations are not allways equivalent.
In this case, the rotations about -z and z will be inequivalent
if there is no opperation of the group which reverses the sense of the z axis.

For example, in the T group there are 8 C3 opperations although there
are only four cube diagonals- see Tinkham "Group Theory and Quantum
mechanics" 2003 pp 58.

Alexandra Carvalho
EPFL Lausanne