[Pw_forum] Imposed symmetry

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Fri Feb 6 10:12:40 CET 2009

Stefano Baroni wrote:
> parameters along energy derivatives (forces and stress). When the ground
> state is nondegenerate, energy derivatives have the same symmetry as the
> the geometry of the system.

Please Stefano help me to understand this point, which is not clear to me. If the ground
state is degenerate (you meant degenerate at a fixed external potential, i.e. fixed atomic
geometry, am I right?) you could reach a lower energy by lowering the symmetry: do you
think this is possible in practical calculations. I thought that you could only end up in
a configuration with higher symmetry than the starting one, not lower.
 From the theoretical point of view, is it correct to apply the standard formulation of
HK theorem to a system with degenerate GS (is the HK mapping still valid?).

Gabriele

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |