[Pw_forum] something about Pt.pw91-n-van.UPF

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 2 18:36:14 CET 2009

Dear Agostino,

a couple of points - we are dealing with an atom, and for
smearings small enough that occupations do not change as
a function of temperature - fractional occupations that are
there just because of degeneracies. This is a bit different
from the ideal case of the free-electron metal - so for an atom
as a function of temperature the total energy E and the entropy
S do not change (provided the temperature is smaller than the
distance to the next  set of empty orbitals), E-TS changes
only because of T changing, and S is not zero just because
of degeneracy. So my previous post re the atom energies should
still hold.

Regarding the issue of taking (E+F)/2 (a good idea for
a metal, not an atom), that was first introduced by Mike
Gillan in 1989 (there is a JPcondmatt from then, I believe,
and a later one in 1991 with Alessandro de Vita). That suggestion
works only for the energy, but not for antyhing else (forces, stresses,
etc...). The Methfessel-Paxton or Marzari-Vanderbilt smearings
achieve the same goal of taking (E+F)/2 , but do that variationally
(i.e. consistently for forces, stresses, etc...). A long discussion
is in chap 4 of http://quasiamore.mit.edu/phd/ .

			nicola