[Pw_forum] something about Pt.pw91-n-van.UPF

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Mon Feb 2 10:58:39 CET 2009

Dear Vega,

    as pointed out by Prof. Eyvaz, your system is to be considered "metallic", in the
sense that Pt is an open shell atom and there is a set of nearly degenerate levels (nearly
because the crystall symmetry breaks the spherical symmerty of the atom) which is not
full. The changes in charge density during self-consistency move these levels up and down
a bit every cycle, so that their occupancy also changes and therefore the charge density
changes somehow "discontinuously" from step to step, preventing the calculation from
reaching self-consistency.

In order to get a better estimate of the isolated atom energy, I suggest to do a spin
polarized calculation (i.e. nspin=2) either using a very small smearing (and check
converge with respect to degauss), or fixing occupations (specify occupations='from_input'
in the electrons namelist and add the input card OCCUPATIONS after the namelists).
You can also fix the total magnetization (=2.0) or, equivalently, the spin multiplicity
(=3)instead of occupations.

Other suggestions:

vega lew wrote:
>  &CONTROL
> ,
>                        nstep = 1000

you don't need to specify this in scf calculations. If you want to increase the maximum
number of iterations in the scf cycle the corresponding key is electron_maxstep in electrons.

> ,
>                        nosym = .ture.
.TRUE.

Regards,