[Pw_forum] Graphene on BN : unable to reach convergence

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Tue Dec 22 09:35:47 CET 2009

mohamed sabri majdoub wrote:
> Dear Jess,
>
> Thank you for your response.
> Could you elaborate please more by my ecut/ecutwfc are not correct
> because I am using norm conserving pseudos.
> I am a beginner with pwscf.

You can start having a look at lecture slides and sample files from hands on sessions
available online here:

http://media.quantum-espresso.org/santa_barbara_2009_07/index.php

> How would I know which values of ecutwfc I
> should use?

Testing for convergence of total energy and other quantities of your interest
(magnetization for instance), by increasing the cutoff ecutwfc and monitoring the behavior
of those quantities.

> In case I would change pseudo type what I should do?

Download the file, put in pseudo_dir and change your input file accordingly. Test again
for convergence.

Normconserving pseudopotentials always need ecutrho=4*ecutwfc (which is the default, so
that you should not specify a value for it), while ultrasoft need ecutrho > 4*ecutwfc
(usually ecutrho ~ 8*ecutwfc or bigger).

Regards,

Gabriele

--

| Gabriele Sclauzero, PhD Student                  |