[Pw_forum] sorting phonon bands based on symmetry/eigenvectors

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Mon Dec 7 19:42:50 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has written a script or program to sort the
phonon frequencies based on their band index or branch.  This would be
very helpful for both plotting and post-analysis.  Currently when you
use matdyn for a given set of q-vectors, it prints out the phonon
frequencies in order from lowest to highest.  However, this does not
take into account the possibility of band crossings which can lead to
changes in the order of the bands.  Matdyn also prints out the
eigenvectors for the phonons so it should be possible to analyze this
and then sort them.   If someone has already addressed this issue, I
would be very interested in any tools that can handle this.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
Senior Research Associate