[Pw_forum] surface energy convergence for thin films

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Dec 3 09:38:52 CET 2009

mohnish pandey wrote:
> Dear users!
>                     I am calculating the energy of gallium nitride thin
> films of thickness of 1-10 layers. I am giving 'nstep'  equal to 200 but
> the output file is not showing any  message of convergence. The program
> is just completing the 200 iterations. I have played with all the

Iterations in the electronic self-consistent loop or iterations (displacements) in the
ionic trajectory? Be careful that nstep refers to the latter, while electron_maxstep to
the former.
I suppose you are speaking of the electronic convergence.

> parameters like 'mixing', 'smearing', etc. I am pasting the input file
> for 9 layer calculation. Can anybody please point out  my mistake and

Have you tried to converge (in a scf run) the respective bulk phases before starting a
complicated calculation in a complicated geometry? It' always better start with simple
things and understand them before moving to more complicated (=interesting) cases.

In you input file I see some problems:
1.Since you are using ultrasoft, you need to specify a meaningful value of ecutrho. Maybe
you also need to increase ecutwfc.
2.Have you tried to visualize your structure (for instance with xcrysden) to see if all
atoms are in the right place?
3.Why do you remove symmetry? It usually helps convergence

GS