[Pw_forum] Born effective charge

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 03:54:14 CET 2009

Dear Mohaddeseh,

Well, let us calculate total number of valence electrons for TiO2:
12+2*6=24, thus, total number of completely filled bands is 24/2=12, not 16, if CaF2-type TiO2 is semiconducting (as I can see from my 3-years old calculations, indeed, it is semiconducting). So, you included several conduction bands in your calculations that caused NAN (not NaN, pay attention).

ecutwfc seems to be high, and ecutrho seems to be extremely large. Usually (for US-type PsP) ecutwfc 30-35 (Ry), rarely 40Ry, and ecutrho = (8 - 12) x ecutwfc. Though, you can perform some tests for yourself to find reliable ecutwfc and ecutrho.

CaF2-type TiO2 is quite unstable phase (at least at T=0K) even up to quite high pressure range, if you like to know.

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com