[Pw_forum] NRAPP not giving phonon frequencies

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Tue Dec 1 08:44:27 CET 2009

Quoting Bipul Rakshit <bipulrr at gmail.com>:
> The calculation is finished with the following lines
>
>   *   End of self-consistent calculation
>      Convergence has been achieved
>      Stopping because representation    4 is not done*
>
> But in LaMnO3.dyn2 or in the output file, no where it is giving me
> frequencies.
> So can anybody tell me how to get the frequencies of only first three modes,
> rather than calculating all 60 modes?
> What I have to modify in my input file?

Dear Bipul,
it is not possible to compute the frequency of a single mode; each
mode gives you a line of the dynamical matrix; the matrix is then
diagonalized and each eigenvalue correspond to a frequency. If you
only compute the modes corresponding to the first atom you can still
compute the frequency belonging to the first atom ***but*** under the
approximation that all the other atoms have infinite masses; i.e. a
mass much larger than the first one.

This clearly is **not** your case, as Lanthanium is 2.5 times heavier
than Manganese and almost 9 times heavier than Oxygen. Nevertheless,
I'll give you the procedure as reference, but don't be tempted to use
it in your case, unless you really know what you're doing.

After computing the first 3 mode you have the first 3 lines of the
dynamical matrix. You can take the 3x3 minor of the the matrix (first
3 rows and first 3 columns) and diagonalize it by hand (using octave,
matlab or whatever software you prefer). The eigenvalues are the
frequencies you are looking for in the said approximation. They are in
Rydberg atomic units, you can get cm-1 multiplying by 109737.

best regards.

--
Lorenzo Paulatto (MS)
SISSA & Democritos