[Pw_forum] LDA and U and OP

Cyrille Barreteau cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Mon Aug 31 08:17:20 CEST 2009

Dear Bipul Rakshit,

Your question is somewhat related to a recent one (who did not receive
an answer I think)
about LDA+U for non collinear systems.
I do not think this "option" has been implemented yet but it might be on
the way
(correct me if I am wrong)..

The paper you are refering to is based on Wien2K calculation where LDA+U
and OP
are implemented. OP is a kind of ansatz introduced by Brooks and Eriksson
20 years ago. Solovyev showed 10 years ago that OP can in fact be
derived in some
special cases from  the full version of LDA+U (including the three Racah
parameters and SOC). However there is no clear justification of OP in
general.

regards

  cyrille

ps: see a recent paper from our group: PRB76 024412 (2007).

Cyrille Barreteau  | phone : +33 (0)1 69 08 29 51
CEA Saclay         | fax   : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46
DSM/IRAMIS/SPCSI   | email cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Batiment 462       |
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  FRANCE
http://iramis.cea.fr/Images/Pisp/cbarreteau/cbarreteau_fr.html