[Pw_forum] Question about K-points

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Mon Aug 24 10:37:40 CEST 2009

In data 23 agosto 2009 alle ore 18:46:26, Bipul Rakshit
<bipulrr at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I have a question about phonon calculation.
> I am doing phonon of K2S (antifluorite structure), using 10x10x10
> k-points mesh. In that calculations i find -ve frequencies.
>
> But then on increasing the mesh 14x14x14 and also the kinetic energy
> cutoff from 32 to 38 Ry, now i am getting all the +ve freq.

Dear Bipul,
unluckily convergence of physical quantities is not variational with the
number of k-points; i.e. if you increase the number of k-points you will
go toward convergence, but not necessarily in a monotone way.

Notwithstanding that, if I had to bet, I would say that the problem was
the cutoff too low: if the Potassium pseudopotential includes semi-core
electrons it may be quite hard. Without knowing the detail of your
calculation there is little more I can honestly say. You could try to
perform two more calculation: one increasing only the number of k-points
and one only the cutoff.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto