[Pw_forum] insufficient virtual memory

Raji Abdulrafiu tunderaji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:15:55 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I am doing  PDOS calculation for system ( 776 electrons ) using the
'projwfc.x'. After some time, the error message below was written in
my output error file.
forrtl: severe (41): insufficient virtual memory
Image              PC                Routine            Line
Source
projwfc.x          0000000000BF9C3A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
projwfc.x          0000000000BF8E3A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
projwfc.x          0000000000BAD71A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

I read through the responses to similar problem from the pwscf forum.
Following the recommended steps (by Profs. Eyvaz and Giannozzi), I
reduced the 'ecutwfc'  and 'ecutrho'   from 35Ry & 450 to 30Ry and
350, respectively. The 'nbnd' was also reduced from 700 to 500. I set
'diagonalization = david', to save the CPU time. Also  "startingwfc"=
''atomic' (default).  Despite all these steps, the error persists, and
I am just not sure of what to do again. I need help please!. I am
using ver.4.0 of QE, and the calculation is being done using the
CINECA parallel computers.

Thank you

Raji Abdulrafiu Tunde,
Solid state and Material Physics Group,