[Pw_forum] point charge

Stefano Fabris fabris at democritos.it
Wed Aug 19 11:37:32 CEST 2009

Dear Ali,

you have to give a deeper thought on your concept of "putting the
charge in the right position". In standard calculations this is a
result not an input. As a specific example in the defects you mention,
think at ionic systems where the charge localization around a given
defect is mainly (but not only) controlled by the Madelung potential.
Note that in these systems a charged defect does not necessarily imply
a charged supercell. But you are right, there are cases in which
different charges can be associated to a given defect (think for
example at F centers that can exists in several charge states), and
here you do need charged supercells. QE can deals with these cases by
specifying the number of electrons in the system, and adding a
compensating uniform background. Note that in these cases,
thermodynamic arguments allow for predicting which is the most stable
defect in given environment conditions. There are several studies
about this issues (including the screening), the first ones I found in
my records are these for ionic systems  PRB 68, 085110 (2003) and PRB
59, 797 (1999); and this one for semiconductors: PRL 67, 2339 (1991).
These, and the references in within, should give you enough concepts
(and keywords) to performs more focused literature research.

Yours sincerely,
			Stefano