[Pw_forum] scf

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Aug 14 07:48:28 CEST 2009

Alvaro:

> Hello I am doing a scf calculation system and uses degauss = 0.003

i.e. 40 mev

> and needed change it paar 0001.

i.e. 1.3 mev, very small indeed

> With this new value, the calculation does not converge. What may be
> happening?

I can only imagine you are using Gaussian smearing for an isolated
molecule with a degenerate HOMO. the degeneracy is split by the low
summetry imposed by the supercell, and the electronic structure
oscillates between the two (or more) states corresponding to each
partner of the multiplet. when you use a decent gaussian smearing, the
code makes an average among the degenerate states and it converges.
when the smearing is instead indecently small, it does not ... As you
see, from the poor information you are providing, I can only guess.
Why don't you provide a few bits of imformation, rather than trusting
our clairvoyance?

>  Regards, Alvaro

I understand that you think we can read your thoughts, but we
cannot ... and, as you know, we would also like to know the identity
of those we correspon to in this forum. In the future, please provide
your complete identity, including your affiliation.

Thanks - Stefano

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget