[Pw_forum] DOS and pDOS parallelization

Andrea Ferretti ferretti at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 13 15:00:49 CEST 2009

Dear Madhura,

>  Thanks for the explanation.
>  I had always thought that DOS code also requires wavefunction files; and
> that is why one needs to give the same prefix and outdir path as in scf
> calculations. If code does not need wavefunctions, which files it uses
> for DOS calc.s?

the code needs mainly the eigenvalues, which are stored in
$prefix.save/K?????/eigenval.xml  files,
where K????? (i.e. K00001, K00002, etc ) correspond to each kpt.

>  As per suggestion, I have run PDOS calc.s with the same number of pools
> and processors (in case of B) and got results. That means PDOS code is
> parallelized with pool implementation, but not DOS.

yes you are right,
this means that pDOS is parallelized over G vectors and pools, while
DOS calculation is not parallelized but is anyway compatible with
the parallel environment (i.e. it does not crash if run parallel)

andrea