[Pw_forum] Problem in parallel execution, please help

dev sharma decboy9 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:13:57 CEST 2009

Hi sir,

Hope so that all of  you will be fine, I am new to linux and I tried to
install PWscf in parallel on a quad core machine but still facing problems .
What I did sequentially, i am writing here

1) i download mpich2-1.0.4p1 from internet and install it.
2) then i installed espresso4.0.2 using the following two commands

(a) env MPIF90=mpif77 ./configure (after this command finally it gave mssg,
parallel envoirnment successful)
(b) make all

after that when i tried any example it is giving mssg as:

Program PWSCF     v.4.0.2  starts ...
    Today is 10Aug2009 at 18:51:21

    Parallel version (MPI)

    Number of processors in use:       1

    For Norm-Conserving or Ultrasoft (Vanderbilt) Pseudopotentials or PAW

    Current dimensions of program pwscf are:
    Max number of different atomic species (ntypx) = 10
    Max number of k-points (npk) =  40000
    Max angular momentum in pseudopotentials (lmaxx) =  3

    Iterative solution of the eigenvalue problem
    Too few procs for parallel algorithm
      we need at least 4 procs per pool

    a serial algorithm will be used

    Planes per process (thick) : nr3 = 15 npp =  15 ncplane =  225

    Proc/  planes cols     G    planes cols    G      columns  G
    Pool       (dense grid)       (smooth grid)      (wavefct grid)
      1     15    121      869   15    121      869     31      113

AND when i tried to execute my files using the command
mpirun  -np  4 /home/sushil/espresso-4.0.2/bin/pw.x  -in  yvo.inp> scf.out1

it is giving in output as:

piexec_localhost.localdomain: cannot connect to local mpd
(/tmp/mpd2.console_sushil); possible causes:
 1. no mpd is running on this host
 2. an mpd is running but was started without a "console" (-n option)
In case 1, you can start an mpd on this host with:
   mpd &
and you will be able to run jobs just on this host.
For more details on starting mpds on a set of hosts, see
the MPICH2 Installation Guide.

please help me and guide me .

Thanks

Yours sincerly,