[Pw_forum] *.fc file in PW_SCF help.

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sun Aug 2 15:59:55 CEST 2009

Dear Hui Wang, dear All:

I am extremely glad that the youngest among you find expert advice on
this forum about such basic issues as discussed in this thread. You
should be advised, though, that the human resources of the QE
developers' team are extremely limited, and none of them gets any
rewards for the their work other than the knowledge thay they are
providing a (great) service to the community.

You will have noticed that most of feedback comes from a very small
number of members of this forum, and guess what? from the 3-4
individuals who do most of the development, maintanance, planning for
future improvements. A simple application of a simple conservation law
should suggest that every second they spend to answer trivial
questions is a second less spent for more technical work that does
require their expert contribution.

I think that all of us can give a bit more to this community. To start
with:

1) For the youngest - Do not think that a free resource (the advice
you can obtain on this forum) is unlimited. Use it sparingly and
judiciously, after making YOURSELF a serious effort to answer your
question. Remember that there is no better teacher than oneself. It
may be painful to teach / learn from oneself, but a self-taught thing
is learnt forever (not to mention your local mentors, senior
colleagues, etc)

2) For the not-so-young - Many of the questions asked on this forum
are general enough to be answered by any knowledgeable senior graduate
student / young postdoc. Please, give back to this community by
keeping the discussion alive without forcing the same 3-4 people to
give all the advice that is requested here.

3) For the bravest. Join the developers' efforts by volunteering some
of your time and help fix bugs / implement new features / start new
projects based on QE.

For the time being, enjoy being with us as much as we enjoy being with
you.

Stefano B

On Aug 2, 2009, at 3:11 AM, xirainbow wrote:

> Dear Paolo Giannozzi:
>

> >what is the meaning of "force constants"? ( hint: second derivative
> of
> >the energy with respect to atomic displacements )
>
> Thanks for your hint. I got it:)

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget