[Pw_forum] phonon calculation for large system

Gabriele Sclauzero sclauzer at sissa.it
Thu Apr 30 09:46:41 CEST 2009

zq wu wrote:
> Dear pwscf users,
>
> I need to do phonon calculation for large system (several hundreds atoms
> per cell). Since i can use lots of processors, I plan to submit many
> jobs,  each of which will calculate 1 phonon mode. But i do not know
> whether it is available to get final dynamic matrix from these separate
> runs and how to do it. Can any one help me?
>
>  Currently, phonon modes are calculated one by one in sequence in phonon
> calculation. Can we do some parallelization here? Can we divide the
> processors into several groups and let each group take care of one or
> more modes in a way similar to K-points parallelization?  I think that
> the parallel efficeincy for modes parallelization should also be close
> to K-points parallelization since the phonon modes calculation is
> independent of each other.  The modes parallelization should be very
> useful for system with large numbers of atoms.  Does anyone have the
> idea how hard it is to do the modes parallelization?

If I correctly understood, i think that this kind of parallelization has already been
exploited in the latest versions of CVS, in order to use ph.x on the GRID. I don't know if
all the related problems have been fixed at this stage (have they, Paolo?), but you can
try to download the CVS and use the keywords start_q, last_q, start_irr, last_irr (see
INPUT_PH) to split your job in many independent jobs. Sorry, I don't know the details, but
at least now you're aware that there is this possibility available (though not extensively
tested, I think, so use _with_ _care_ and help debugging, please).

HTH

GS