[Pw_forum] conv_thr for forces for relaxing ions

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Apr 22 10:23:27 CEST 2009

In PWscf the forces are calculated  from the  Hellman-Feynman theorem
(strictly true only at the stationary point) plus a correction that
(approximately) accounts for the residual lack of self-consistency.  As
such when the correction is large compared to the Hellman-Feynman term
one should be careful.
In your case I would say that the forces are  now probably very small
and  therefore the structure is reliable.
I would say that the actual (small) value for the force are probably
correct within a few percent since the correction term is (according to
the value quote) of the order of 10 % of the total (and hopefully is not
completely wrong).
Hope this helps,
stefano de Gironcoli -SISSA and DEMOCRITOS