[Pw_forum] propagation direction in the input file

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 01:12:43 CEST 2009

Dear Li,

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, Li YL <ylli at theory.issp.ac.cn> wrote:

>  Many thanks your suggestions or comments.

Welcome!

> Can you give me example file to finish  LO-TO spliting
> using matdyn.x?

See attached file.  But keep in mind IFC (and the dynamical matrix at Gamma point)  have to be calculated as an insulator (semiconductor). I.e. there is no need to specify occupations (and related keywords) in scf.in.
At the same time add epsil=.true. to ph.in. This will give you IFC and dyn0 files with macroscopic dielectric constants and Born effective charges.

Attached file is for a hexagonal lattice. You can not use it directly as you have to use your actual c/a ratio.

> I noticed that for insulator,  by default,
> ph.x firstly calculate electric field and effective charges.
> Why?

ph.x does not calculate electric field, it calculates macroscopic dielectric constants and Born effectife charges.
Because of that LO-TO splitting depends on these parameters.

Please read a textbook why this LO-TO splitting occurs.

> There are 30 atoms in unit cell. But in its primitive cell,
> the number of atoms is only 10.

Well, I see. Sure the primitive cell is more suitable.

> By the way, now I can obtain dielectriic constants (high
> frequency dielectric constants) and effective charges, but I
> don't know how to get static dielectrin constant and
> polar charges? can you give me some suggestions?

Again, not "polar" charges, Born effective charges.

Static dielectric constants and the charges can be calculated easily. See above.

Bests,
Eyvaz.