[Pw_forum] input file for transmission

Manoj Srivastava manoj at phys.ufl.edu
Tue Apr 14 19:59:52 CEST 2009

Dear Gabriele,

Thank you very much quick reply. I have  some follow up questions on this.

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > Dear PWSCF users and developers,
> >  I wish to do a transmission calculation and confused about the input
> > file. I have a question on example 12 of the package, where transmission
> > of monoatomic Al wire with a H atom adsorbed on the side is done. The SCF
> > run in the device region is done with (some part of input file is given
> > below)
>
> it is usually called the "scattering region"
>

> > &system
> >     ibrav = 6,
> >     celldm(1) =12.0,
> >     celldm(3) =1.875,
> >
> > where the atomic postions of different atoms is
> > Al     0.00000000     0.00000000     0.0000
> > Al     0.00000000     0.00000000     0.375
> > Al    -0.02779870     0.00000000     .75537515
> > H      0.19269012     0.00000000     .93750000
> > Al    -0.02779870     0.00000000     1.11962485
> > Al     0.00000000     0.00000000     1.5
> >
> > So, looking at the z coordinate of above system, we notice that device
> > region is periodic with period 1.875.
>
> You are right, the scattering region is a periodic system, since pwscf always uses PBCs.
> The lenght of the scattering region id 12.0*1.875 a.u. and contains all 5 Al and the H
> impurity.

But that is exactly the trouble I am having in this. The scattering
region should not be periodic like leads, as now we have infinite
scattering region! But PWSCF always has PBC, so we should have a large 3rd
lattice vector to make the scattering region practically finite. I dont
see any super cell here. a_3 is just 1.875*a_0, where a_0 is lattice
constant. The atomic postions are all in a_0 unit, which makes me believe
that it is a practically infinite system with a_3=1.875*a_0.

> > So, physically we are solving for an
> > infinite device region, but in the physical setting of a transmission
> > problem leads are semi-infinite and device is finite. Shouldn't we use
> > some kind of vacum, i.e. taking 3rd lattice vector large, which
> > effectively would represent the finite device region?
>

> > Also how much part
> > of the leads should be taken as part of device region,
>
> I don't understand this point. The leads are conceptually different thing than the
> scattering region. The lead is a periodic unit of the "bulk" region (in this case an
> infinitely long monatomic wire) and it is used to compute the generalized Bloch states,
> which in turn are propagated in the scattering region.

 In the above example, in principle we can have one atom H as scattering
region, and Al wire as left and righ leads, but we have taken few Al atoms
with H and treated it as scattering region. Thats what I
meant by how much part of leads should be taken as scattering region.