[Pw_forum] effect of symmetry warning on final band symmetry analysis

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Sat Apr 4 20:13:34 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I am doing some analysis of the symmetry of bands in a crystal.  When I run
the initial scf calculation, I get the warning associated with the
fractional coordinates that has been discussed many times in the forum.

warning: symmetry operation #  2 not allowed.   fractional translation:
      -0.4999997  0.5000000  0.4999996  in crystal coordinates

I know this does not cause any problems in calculating the general
properties of the system.

I did however want to confirm that it will not have any effect on the band
symmetry analysis that is performed with bands.x when lsym=.true. (ie
thinking the system has a lower symmetry than it actually does).

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.
Scientific Computation Associate