[Pw_forum] A puzzle about the aborption energy curve calculation

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Fri Sep 26 22:24:38 CEST 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 11:14 , Weiguang Chen wrote:

> Many authors show the absorption energy curve function as the change
> of adsorption heigth in their papers for looking for the potential
> barrier,
> and they usually hold the system unrelaxed. But i have a puzzle
> about it,
> i think  the system may be unstable which is placed different
> heigth, and
> some even change largely especially near the surface, which mean the
> system structure is not the initial anymore.

if I understand what you mean, you are referreing to the case of a
molecule over a surface and on the energy vs distance curve E(d).
The correct way to calculate E(d) is to impose a constraint to the
(apporpriately defined) distance between the molecule and the
surface and to relax the remaining degrees of freedom. In some
cases you can get a decent approximated curve by keeping the
molecule in its geometry and vary d. Of course it is an approximation.

Paolo
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Physics, University of Udine
via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222