[Pw_forum] why my pw.x run with low efficiency?

vega vegalew at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:31:52 CEST 2008

Dear sir,

Thank you so much for your responding. I do appreciate your help.

> than the wall time. here it looks as if the jobs is either
> swapping like crazy or the communication is stalling. on that

I believe it. So do you think 10G infiniband is good enough for my job?
By the way, there is also another two parallel job on the line. one is
lammps, a classical MD code. the other is VASP. the lammps and vasp are
using 32 cpus in total. my job is using 39 nodes and two cpu for each node.

>vega mentioned that openmpi didn't work because
> of "lack of memory". i suspect that this is due to incorrect
> setup of the infiniband fabric and user limits. ulimit -a
> should produce on the compute nodes something like this.
> particularly the "max locked memory" entry is very important,
> and not setting it high enough will result in severely
> degraded performance (cf. ofed documentation).

I'm really admiring your experiences and sense about the parallel job.
the max lock memory option on my machines is 4. Now I asked my
system administrator to reset it to 1024000. My physical memory
is 2G. Do you think set it to 2048000 will be better?
I'll try openmpi again, later, using flags --mca btl_openib_use_srq 1
with mpirun.

By the way I'm using MPICH2 now, not MPICH.

> to see it). also one can see how much swapping is going on by
> simply logging into the node and monitoring whether kswapd
> processes actually consume a lot of time.

I checked it as your suggested. kswapd did not consume a lot of time.
I think the problem was probably caused by the network.

> in the (somewhat unlikely) case that one is running out of
> memory, it may help to not use all processors per node. i don't

your words remind me of a previous job. I run the job for one thread per
core,
the job failed. When I reduce the threads, the job can be done smoothly.

> finally, it may just be that the input at hand doesn't scale
> to that many cpus, so in case of seeing performance problems
> it always pays off to check whether running with less processors
> or nodes is actually faster. bigger is not always better!!

> limits of QE in both cases. i suggest to look up that e-mail
> from the mailing list archives and do a similar assessment
> with special consideration of the additional concerns listed
> in this e-mail.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experiences to me.

best wishes,

vega

Vega Lew (weijia liu)
PH.D Candidate in Chemical Engineering
State Key Laboratory of Materials-oriented Chemical Engineering
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University of Technology, 210009, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China