[Pw_forum] why my pw.x run with low efficiency?

vega vegalew at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 20 05:30:02 CEST 2008

Dear sir,

Thank you for your suggestion.

>>  Do you think 10G infiniband is good enough for 39 nodes?
>
> I'm not an hardware junkie, but infiniband has a fame to be quite
> performant, it should be ok.
thank god...

> on local scratch. If you are using the wf_collect option, you may have to
> use a network file system for the wavefunctions (I think there is an input
> variable to specify the wavefunctions directory).

to reduce the IO, I didn't use it.

> is little you can do. Do not set the outdir to a network filesystem will
> help, especially if the filesystem passes on the same network as mpi.
> Maybe openmpi is more efficient than the mpich, but I don't really know it
> (I'm just assuming than new is better than old).

OK, I'll try to set a outdir to a local location. I used to run QE with
openmpi
but openmpi seems to be something wrong with invoking the virtual memory for
my
cluster. I think so. Only mpich2 could run the calculation with large
systems up
to 120  atoms or more.

Do you think I should copy the compilers, MKL, fftw, mpi, and QE files to
local
disk for every node? Do you think this will reduce the IO greatly?

thank you for reading

vega

Vega Lew (weijia liu)
PH.D Candidate in Chemical Engineering
State Key Laboratory of Materials-oriented Chemical Engineering
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Nanjing University of Technology, 210009, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China