[Pw_forum] Units of Charge Density - Again

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Mon Sep 15 08:06:51 CEST 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 5:00 AM, Paul M. Grant wrote:

> There have been a number of posts to pw_forum regarding the units
> employed for charge density throughout PWscf package and XcrySDen.
> This is an important issue, and I still find the situation and
> answers provided in the forum archives ambiguous.  Before slogging
> through relevant source codes, and testing by writing time-consuming
> homemade examples, I’m hoping someone in the community has preceded
> me.
>
> In a perfect SI world, these units would be coulombs per cubic
> meter.  In a practical, or rather intuitive, world, they would be in
> units of total fractional number of electrons per unit cell volume
> (in cubic angstroms or nanometers or bohrs (ugh)).  So…what is it?

Paul: when I was familiar with the code (well, it is some time
ago ...) it used to be (bohrs)^(-3). i.e. "densities" used to be
NUMBER densities (length^(-3)), in the units used by the code. the
only ambiguity about units is between the "pwscf" and "CP" branches of
the distribution. The first uses Rydberg au (e^2/2=2m=hbar=1), the
second Hartree au (e=m=hbar=1). in both sets of units, the unit length
is the bohr, hence no ambiguity here.

> And does it depend on the division of states between core and
> valence taken when constructing a given pseudopotential?

sure it does. the integral ofer the unit (super-) cell of the density
is the number ov valence electrons.
> Finally, I’ve been unable (by visual inspection) to determine from
> the documentation for XcrySDen (a marvelous tool…marvelous), exactly
> how the “rho grid input” is scaled, especially regarding the
> computation of the 3D min-max grid values, the “isovalue”…and…
> particularly the mysterious “delta n(r)” displayed in the
> temperature inset box.

no hint here

cheers - SB

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
http://www.sissa.it/~baroni / [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
stefanobaroni (skype)

La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
de la pensée - Jean Piaget