[Pw_forum] How to calculate real space inter-atomic force constants excluding the contribution due to macroscopic electric field

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 17:53:52 CEST 2008

Dear Ravi,

>From INPUT_PH

epsil (default=.false.) - if .true. in a q=0 calculation for a non metal the macroscopic dielectric constant of the system is computed. Do not set epsil to .true. if you have a metallic system or q/=0: the code will complain and stop

So, if you like to exclude the electric field contribution in semiconductors (insulators) just consider them as a metallic system. But later you will find an inconsistency between phonons you calculated and experimental data as the electric field leads to splitting of LO-TO modes in semiconductors.

> I am new to pwscf
Welcome!

Bests,
Eyvaz.

Prof. Eyvaz Isaev,
Theoretical Physics Department, Moscow State Institute of Steel & Alloys, Russia,
Department of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (IFM), Linkoping University, Sweden
Condensed Matter Theory Group, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eyvaz.Isaev at fysik.uu.se, isaev at ifm.liu.se, eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com