[Pw_forum] enthlapy of a system

Matteo Cococcioni matteo at umn.edu
Tue Sep 2 07:32:35 CEST 2008

Dear Bipul

I think all you need to do is computing the equation of state for both
phases. In other words you choose a series of lattice parameters (that
may be different for the two phases) and compute the total energy for
each of them. In this case for B1 (NaCl) and B2 (CsCl) you don't need to
relax the atomic positions for each lattice parameter as you would do in
general. Once you get E(V) for each of the phase, you can use the
program ev.x to fit a Murnaghan or a Birch eq. of state in your data.
 From the equation of state you have chosen you can compute the
derivative P=-dE/dV at any V within the interval of your fit. This will
be the pressure on your system. for every value of P
you will have V and the corresponding E so you will be able to construct
E+PV (enthalpy) for the values of P you have.

hope this helps,

Matteo