[Pw_forum] desc_init

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 30 16:53:10 CET 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Lazaro Calderin wrote:

LC> Hi Paolo,
LC>
LC> > variables of the containing routine). While I like to say that
LC> > "the only line of code that is bug-free is the one that is not
LC> > there", I also try not to forget another bit of wisdom:
LC> > "if it is not broken, don't fix it"
LC>
LC> Excellent bits of wisdom .. I agree .. it is just the case that for some
LC> reason the sun compiler does not see that subroutine as "contained" and
LC> ends up creating a library with repeated symbols. A workaround is to use
LC> -z muldefs for linking, which is not recommended as Axel pointed out.

another workaround would be to try installing gcc/gfortran
or g95 and use them instead of the sun compilers. if a compiler
has problems with some (new-ish) language feature, there is a
high chance that some more problems exist that are not that
easy to spot.

...and yet another workaround would be to rename the contained
functions and their calls to have different names in each
files, so they don't collide anymore.

cheers,
   axel.