[Pw_forum] Intel MPI or OpenMPI?

Ha, Tran Van hthp12 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 13:39:25 CEST 2008

Thanks Nicola Marzari  and  Jun Dai for help me about FFTW.
Dear Pwscf Users, I have a problem with my new quadcore Q6600 (I had no problem with my old parrallel machine).
I read the messages from our forum, especially http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/pw_forum/2008-February/subject.html#8280
As Axel Kohlmeyer said, we can get a speedup of roughly 2.5x to 3.5x from
a quad core cpu over a corresponding single core but to me it's very bad! using one core always run faster all 4 cores (the same with gamma point also k-point).
I used PWscf 4.0.3, Intel compiler 10.1.018 and OpenMPI 1.2.8. I don't know why? Or I can change into using Intel MPI with my Quadcore?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Nam, Tran Van
Hanoi University of Technology
Faculty of Chemistry