[Pw_forum] Total energy diverges in cell relaxation

Hui Tang huihh.tang at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:39:54 CEST 2008

Hi Nic,

1)  I have tested the pseudo-potentials (psps) with small atomic
separations. The pseudo-potentials give reasonable till two atoms are as
close as 0.8 A. When the total energy starts to diverge, which is about
Ionic iteration 17, the smallest inter-atomic distance is about 1.4 A. So I
do not think the breakdown of the psps is the trigger of this divergence of
the total energy, although it should be the reason for the enormous large
negative energies.

2) I have tried to restart the calculation from where the divergence starts.
Once I did that, the first scf calculation would give a reasonable energy
around -41.7 Ry, and the calculation could run smoothly till the total
energy converges most of the times. So what I deal with this problem right
now is to restart calculations from where they start to have diverged total
energies and it's been working well. However, I hope this is not the optimal
way to solve this problem. :)

Thank you very much,
Hui