[Pw_forum] Getting DOS at Fermi Energy

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 14 00:44:01 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Paul M. Grant wrote:

paul,

PG> To begin with, let me see if I understand some of the basics of the *.save
PG> folders:
PG> 1.  pw.x with the scf option saves the scf charge density and spin data in
PG> two binaries named charge-density.dat and spin-polarization.dat (is there a
PG> utility that displays the info therein in readable, or even hex, form?

please see the attached shell script that will instruct the hexdump
command (part of the ulti-linux package that should be installed on
almost any current linux machine) to spit out a more traditionally
formatted hexdump akin to a nice program that i was using loooong ago
on 6502 processor code (we all have our "war time" experiences... ;-) ).

a more practical approach to accessing the .save directory
would be to compile the PP/qexml.f90 code and use the API provided
in there and link the resulting code with libiotk.a from the QE installation.
the two .dat file you mention and others are written in an xml-like
format either in binary or in text mode. easy to tell from the
hexviewer, of course. ;-)

i would assume that you can program from there on pretty much
in f77 style. you'd just have to add "USE qexml_module" at the
very beginning of your code and each subroutine using the interface
and compile with an f90 compiler.

good luck,
    axel.