[Pw_forum] Changelogs

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 9 16:13:04 CEST 2008

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Dmitry Korotin wrote:

dear dmitry,

DK> > if you tell us what kind of info you need, and for what purpose, it would probably be easier for somebody willing to help to do so
DK> Some time ago I modified ESPRESSO-3.0 to implement construction of
DK> atomic-like Wannier-functions and generation of LDA Hamiltonian on
DK> Wannier basis set. My code was far from perfect but it works nice. Now
DK> I am trying to understand a need to rewrite my code for ESPRESSO-4.0.2
DK> and to realize the amount of changes that I should make for this
DK> purpose. I want to know how deep ESPRESSO source have changed.

_no_ form of changelog will _ever_ be able to tell you that.
in fact, what you'd need to know would be even more detailed.
however, with a publically accessable cvs you can do it yourself.
rather than looking at the changelogs for the whole package,
i would suggest to have a look of the individual changelogs
for the files that you had to modify and the modules that you
import. after identifying the "interesting" commits you can
then create diff files (prefereably with context, i.e. diff -u
or diff -c) to see what was changed in particular and how this
would affect your code.

an interesting tool that can be helpful in this regard is
a program called "cvsps" that will combine detailed changelog
and diffs into patchsets and one can generate diffs for patch
sets that correlate to groups of commits.

cheers,
   axel.